There are certain requirements you need to fulfill in order to apply for US green card lottery. If you are well aware of the criteria to apply and know the eligibility requirements, you are in a better position to secure yourself from rejection. Moreover, the information regarding green card lottery will keep you safe from all kinds of scam and fraud.
The US Department of Immigration has set out some rules and regulations to follow for Diversity Visa Lottery Program. The government holds a strict policy against any applications received through unscrupulous means. You should be informed so that you don’t become a victim of deception.
Here are some clear cut eligibility requirements and information about the application:
There are two basic eligibility requirements you should adhere to before applying.
1) Eligible Country
You should be from the eligible country to apply. The government updates the list of eligible and ineligible countries every year. For DV-2013, Bangladesh was removed from the list of eligible countries; instead Poland and Sudan were added. There is lot of speculation about the announcement of DV-2014 eligible countries, so keep your fingers crossed for your native country.
Furthermore, you can still qualify for the lottery application if your parents or spouse are from the eligible countries.
2) Education Or Work Experience
You are eligible if you have completed your High School Education or 12-years of elementary and secondary education.
In case you don’t meet the education criteria, you must provide evidence of your work experience. You should have 2 years of work experience within the last 5 years in an occupation which requires 2 years of training or experience.
There are many agencies who are trying to trap you into something that is not just illegal but unethical as well. They can jeopardize your chances of getting the green card. To stay alert, you should keep in mind the following information:
– Multiple entries are not entertained. You can submit only one entry during the particular green card lottery year.
– The government website is active only during the application period. You cannot apply after the closing date.
– The immigration office does not accept paper or mail entries. Only online applications are accepted.
– The digital photographs of spouses and children should be attached.
– Married couples should apply separately if both meet the eligibility requirements. In this case if one spouse wins, the other can accompany the winning spouse.